Skip to main content

How to stay balanced in a unbalanced society

Who am I? 

My name is Gina full name Sangeeta Gina Soni. Currently, I am a learner. 

Curious about everything and everyone.

What's in the middle is a blog for us to find the middle grounding in everything we do. In today's society, we call it "being balanced" It's bloody tough! We will talk about fitness, meditation, yoga teachers,  teachers, Indian food actually all kinds of food duh this is about been balanced, relationships, the tech world, and looking inside of our minds and truly be honest and ask ourselves are we balanced? Hey, by the way, I am a health expert, a former radio presenter amongst a high school educator with a master’s in computing

I will give you plenty of tips in all fields and share my views so please feel free to either agree or disagree as Just because I am a health educator and jack of all trades, I will not finish the latter I want to hear as I may be more unbalanced than what I think I am. So, I kind of know what I am talking about but every day I am presented with a new challenge hence why I wanted to get this going before well you never know. it is true what they say 

LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

 Hopefully every article you will have a viewpoint so please feel free to jump right in.  

 Originally, I am from England, even though I have been told many times

"you don't look English"

What does that mean? 

However, I try to keep a balanced view. Our mind is a collection of our thoughts and If I choose to I can go nuts over the topic and could have caused complete anarchy when being told this I choose not to, well excluding one occasion when my boyfriend’s mother said this to my face.                                                

exact words

" When I look at you don't remind me of an English person, you sound different and look different" 

Oh boy!

Did my brain register the fact that she is 70 years old and slightly set in her ways, did my brain register that is only a temporary situation, I do not have to take her home but I do have to go home with her son, did my brain register they are just words and It's okay to politely acknowledge, did my brain register that I am a yoga teacher and have been taught in my childhood to smile and say "namaste" and it’s okay to politely say " I understand, and engage in the discussion and partly agree with her and justify why I do not look English? 

Did my brain register to help her understand and may be guiding her and calmly continue the conversation to understand her and help her to understand me ? and to ask her do you mean I don't look English because my ancestors were not born in England? Did I take the time to explain to explain to her 'well I was bought up in a not so affluent area in West London and unfortunately, I picked up the slightly Cockney accent? 

Did my brain register I am a meditation teacher and gently hold her hand and say "now let's breath"

HELL NO!

Oh yeah, I replied 

"well what does this mean"

" I was born in England actually in West Middlesex Hospital LONDON, UK.

"My first breath was in UK soil"

" I have lived and grew up with English values because England is my home it’s all I know, I have never looked it in any other way. 

and then I did what I am so used to doing 

"hibernating for the rest of the meal" 

I did not want to engage with her and thought she was extremely narrow-minded.

 Did I take a balanced approach? 

Now in hindsight and with plenty more experience and wisdom, I would have politely tried to understand her viewpoint and given her the benefit of the doubt and let it GO! And if was a younger person I would have calmly continued the conversation as I am curious of what they have to say and had a civilized debate, but you can’t do this with everyone some individuals just refuse to see anyone's point of view and being okay that we all have our own views, however we are still humans and would like to be respected now, in this case, I would have to just drop the ball and continue into another conversation and for next time choose very wisely when I would like to see this person again if I choose to do so.

 Is this a balanced approach?

 

 

Have you ever encountered similar or any situations where you could have taken the balanced approach meet someone halfway? understand their view? 

Or did you do what I did and just let it rip! How would you handle situations like this now?

Any tips? 

Now being an educator I encourage you to take a few moments to breath before you react, even if it means you have to leave the situation. It is you not about them. They are just a reflection of what you do not want to see in the world but be the reflection of what you want to see. I am still learning and learning every day as I am encountering situations like this every day of my life. Even after being an educator and having wisdom, I am still faced with challenges, but this is when I forgive myself and just come to my practice and I hope I will do better next time. It eventually will CLICK!

Watch this short breathing meditation video and try your best to integrate into situations which may overwhelm you. 

breathing meditation                                          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bargaining, middling and gratuity (general negotiation for services rendered)

Bargaining, middling and gratuity (general negotiation for services rendered) Financial etiquette has never been a new struggle. It has only been amplified since the arrival of the global Covid-19 pandemic. Understandably so since many people had to tighten their belts to make a living more bearable during a difficult time, but this then begs the question; by skimping and counting our dollars, should we still be expected to pay full prices for services that have been scaled down to accommodate us during this world crisis? Or should we find more agreeable terms and bargaining methods to ensure both parties are benefitted and compensated either way?   Gratuity/tipping: Being English, tipping has not been a strong suit. However, experiences of other cultures in different countries brought more monetary notions forth, which has made me reconsider my stance on this financial faux pas whilst still keeping my common sense when approaching a situation that requires more voicing than others.  L

Therapist verses Meditation

Mediation Vs. Therapy: Do We Need To Change Our “Talk It Out” Mindset?   Hello everyone, Welcome to what's in the middle. Today our little chatter is about therapy. This came up recently because my niece was asking me if I knew one, I was appreciative that she asked me however I asked her what made you think of me, she said well aunty I have heard everyone in LA has a therapist. I laughed out loud. I said well I am not sure everyone has a therapist but many people do. I decided to take her through a meditation class but she was not sold and still was insisting on seeing a therapist. It made me think about therapy, they are great and I have never stopped anyone going to one as we all have our reasons for attending but it raised a lot of questions.    The first being, have we become over-reliant on hashing out our problems to others? I swiftly realized that the answer to this question can be found through the pushing of a remote button. Whole tv shows dedicated to broken-hear

Comparisons is the new addiction ?

Comparisons Hello, and welcome to What’s in the Middle.  Today I want to talk about comparisons. I have never been one to be envious of others, however I have always found great inspiration in others. Growing up, my family was surrounded by the wealth of our cousins, aunties and uncles yet we were the poor family who just about managed to sustain a roof over head.  Our mother would work in her little closet sewing 10 pence dresses to keep us financially afloat. But, despite the hardship, we managed to survive.  My aunties would buy trendy clothes and expensive toys for our cousins and we were fortunately gifted their hand me downs. But the fact it was good fortune was something we had to learn, at the time it didn’t feel great. It made me feel very unsure of where we belonged.  I posed my concerns to my mother, expressing my hurt and disappointment in others, feeling as if we’d never be the chosen ones like my cousins, wh